The Body Part Insurance Policies of the Rich and Famous
Monday, May 4, 2015
Actresses, models and athletes use their bodies to make money. An injury or illness could mean the end of a multi-million dollar career. So it’s hardly surprising that celebrities take out insurance policies with very specific coverage to protect their most valuable assets. Here are just a few of them:
- Many sports players insure their legs, but not many can keep up with soccer’s Cristiano Ronaldo and David Beckham who have insured their bottom limbs for $144 million and $70 million respectively.
- Models and actors also consider their legs to be highly valuable. Mariah Carey has her gams insured for a whopping $1 billion, Tina Turner for $3.2 million, Rihanna for half a million and Heidi Klum for $2.2 million. In Klum’s case, one leg is insured for a bit less than the other because of a tiny scar on the knee.
- Dolly Parton and Madonna have both insured their bosoms: Parton for $600,000 in the 1960s, and Madonna for $2 million in the 1990s.
- Keith Richards, Rolling Stones singer/guitarist, has insured his middle finger for $1.6 million.
- Both Rod Stewart and Bruce Springsteen have insured their vocal chords for $6 million.
- According to Jennifer Lopez, her famous booty is worth $27 million while Kylie Minogue values hers at a comparatively low $5 million.
- Julia Roberts and America Ferrera have insured their smiles for $30 million and $10 million respectively.
- Tom Jones has insured his chest hair for $7 million. Even though he is no longer the sex symbol he used to be in the 1960s, Jones has continually increased the coverage over the years.
- British food critic Egon Ronay has insured his tongue for a modest $400,000.
- And finally, not taking any chances, Daniel Craig has his entire body insured for $8 million.
Editor’s note: This article originally ran on July 30, 2014 and has been updated for accuracy.
View more articles like this one.