Alberta and British Columbia's Amusement Parks
Monday, June 29, 2015
Amusement parks have long been family favourites. With the smell of hot dogs and popcorn in the air, bright happy colours and delighted screams coming from daredevil rides, a trip to an amusement park creates a special bond and lifelong memories. This year, gather everyone together and head out to these thrilling amusement parks in Western Canada:
- Calaway Park is just outside of Calgary and is Western Canada's largest outdoor amusement park. With 34 rides and a variety of entertainment, there is something for every member of the family to enjoy. The adjoining campground makes it the ultimate stay-and-play destination this side of the Rocky Mountains.
- Galaxyland in the West Edmonton Mall is the world's second largest indoor amusement park. It features 24 rides, including the world's biggest indoor roller coaster and tallest indoor tower ride. If Galaxyland isn’t enough for thrill seekers, head across the mall to the World Water Park with its 17 water slides, wave pool and more.
- Wild Rapids Waterpark in Sylvan Lake is a great place for the kids to unwind and get wet. With dozens of attractions, there won’t be a dull minute during your visit. Fly down the Kami Kazi speed slide, brave the raging river rides, and top the day off on the zero-gravity Sidewinder.
- Jurassic Forest, just north of Gibbons, gives young explorers the opportunity to come face-to-face with dinosaurs. Explore their world on the Discovery Trails, hitch a ride on a triceratops and look for fossils at the dig site. There is no time like the present to catch a glimpse of the past.
If your family road trip is taking you closer to the west coast, there are plenty of parks on the other side of the Rockies guaranteed to keep smiles on everyone’s faces.
- Playland in Vancouver is Canada’s oldest amusement park, but it never gets old. With over 30 rides, picnic spaces and an assortment of food concessions, everyone will enjoy a fun-filled day. The annual end-of-summer fair between August 22 and September 7, and the Halloween Fright Nights, are especially popular.
- Fairmont Funtasia is located on the north edge of the Fairmont Hot Springs and offers an array of activities such as a challenging mini golf course sculpted into a live forest, Spin ‘n’ Bump cars, and Animal Petting Park and Gardens.
- WildPlay Element Parks is an outdoor experience like no other. Designed with nature in mind, each activity is powered by you. Climb, jump and swing through the Monkido Aerial Adventure, zip-line through the forest or bungy plunge through some of BC’s most beautiful scenery. With several locations across British Columbia (and one in Wood Buffalo, Alberta), there is no excuse for missing out on the adventure!
- Cultus Lake Waterpark is BC’s biggest water park. With a variety of slides to choose from, there is enough thrill to last a lifetime. While you are there, check out the brand new Cultus Lake Adventure Park, which features over a dozen new attractions for hours of added family fun.
This year, get out and experience all the best that Western Canada has to offer. With any of these parks on your itinerary, you can make your summer one to remember.
View more articles like this.