Tips for Online Christmas Shopping
Wednesday, December 11, 2013
If you are running late with your Christmas shopping, or if you are too busy to stand in long lines, online shopping can be a great solution. Browse through a website, pick items, check out and collect the parcel on delivery. If this is your plan, keep the following in mind:
- Choose the right website for your shopping. It needs to be legitimate, secure and reliable. If private sellers on auction sites fail to deliver, some of your relatives might receive nothing from you this Christmas. So, stick with big names or with smaller sites that are highly recommended through word of mouth. Traditional retailers with brick-and-mortar stores are legitimate, have high rental costs and will thus appreciate your business through their online portals.
- Use your own computer to do your shopping. It is not safe to type your bank account details into public computers or even to log into personal accounts on computers that might keep track of your passwords.
- If you do not want to give your credit card details, consider a virtual credit card that expires after a single use.
- Make your online purchases as early as possible to allow sufficient handling and postage time. Moreover, retailers and suppliers are swamped with orders in December, and there is nothing more frustrating than finding great gifts that are sold out.
- Since you will make all your online purchases with your credit card, keep careful track of what you spend so you do not go overboard.
- Order as many gifts as possible from the same website to keep your shipping costs low.
- One can find great products online, but product descriptions can be misleading. There is nothing worse than receiving a product that is nothing like that which one expected. Read a product description on more than one site. One of these sites should be that of the manufacturer. Reviews by other users are always helpful.
- Online Christmas cards are cheap, so if there are people who do not make your Christmas gift list, it is thoughtful to send them virtual cards.
Make the people in your life feel special this Christmas, and do it in a way that is convenient for you.