Remembrance Day 2012
Friday, November 9, 2012
Remembrance Day is when the world commemorates the sacrifices made by soldiers. It falls on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, which is the exact time that the First World War ended, in which approximately 50,000 Canadian soldiers died. Edmonton and Calgary commemorates this day through various ceremonies annually, and 2012 is no exception.
2012 Edmonton Remembrance Day Ceremonies
- An Interdenominational Prayer Service at McDougall United Church, 10025 101 Street, at 6:00 PM, followed by a walk for peace from City Hall.
- An inter-denominational church service at Calder Seniors Drop-In Society, 12963 120 street, at 9:45 AM, followed by a Parade from Calder Community Hall, 12721 120 street, to the Calder Cenotaph, where a service will take place at 11:00 AM.
- The annual University of Alberta remembrance ceremony in the Butterdome, 89th Avenue and 112th Street, at 10:20 AM. It will include the Pipes and Drums of the Edmonton Police Service.
- The No Stone Left Alone Memorial Foundation Remembrance Day ceremony on Friday the 9th of November at 10:45 AM. It will take place at Beechmount Cemetery, 12420 104 Street, and will include a two minute silence and the placing of poppies.
- A service at the Legislative Grounds, 97 Avenue and 108 Street, at 10:30 AM. It will include a 21-gun salute by the Royal Canadian Artillery.
- A service at the Alberta Aviation Museum, 11410 Kingsway, at 10:30 AM.
- A service at the West Edmonton Mall Ice Palace, 88 Avenue and 170 Street, between 10:00 AM and 12:00 PM.
2012 Calgary Remembrance Day Ceremonies
- The inaugural Remembrance Day Ceremony at Battalion Park, 3001 Signal Hill Dr. S.W. takes place at 10:40 AM. The ceremony will focus on the monument at the bottom of the steps that lead up to the battalion numbers after which the site is named. Thousands of Western Canadian soldiers gathered there to train for World War I, so the ceremony is aimed at raising the profile of this historic site.
- The annual memorial ceremony at The Military Museums, 4520 Crowchild Tr. S.W. starts at 10:45 AM.
- The annual remembrance ceremony at Memorial Park, 1221 2 St. S.W. starts at 10:30 AM.
- The Calgary Scrambling & Mountaineering Club is planning a climb and a minutes’ silence at 11 AM. The final destination will be confirmed on their website.
- Proarts@Noon will present a remembrance concert at the Cathedral Church, 218 7th Ave SE on Wednesday November 7 between 12:00 and 13:00. It will feature many musicians and guest artists.
- Free swimming at select City of Calgary pools between 1:00 PM and 4:30 PM.
- Free skating at select City of Calgary arenas between 1:00 PM and 2:30 PM.