How to Apply for Government Disaster Recovery

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Flood insurance may not be readily available or covered within your home insurance.  If you have been affected by a flood, the Canadian government can help with offering disaster recovery funds.  Specifically the Government of Alberta offers recovery funding for eligible residents, businesses and agricultural producers.  The government helps by assisting residents in events such as flooding that may be uninsurable. 

During times of disastrous events and natural disasters, disaster recovery programs are what most residents rely on.  The Alberta Emergency Management Agency (AEMA) administers the disaster recovery program and municipalities can apply if the event is; considered extraordinary, insurance is not readily available, and the event was wide spread. 

The disaster recovery program is available to municipalities for events that are uninsurable.  For example, fire insurance is readily available so the disaster recovery program will not provide assistance for this type of damaging event.  

If you would like to apply for the disaster recovery program or would like to have more information on the application process you can call 1-888-671-1111.  If you would like to have an application form you can download an application form and submit to the address on the form.  Once you have completed the application form, you can mail it to Alberta Emergency Management Agency, 14515 - 122 Avenue, Edmonton, AB  T5L 2W4.

If you would like more information on disaster recovery programs, you can call toll free at 1-888-671-1111 or take a look at the Alberta Emergency Management Agency website